Inspire Financial Management

Best viewed on a device with a bigger screen...
Tel: 0191 487 7074

paper tax return

The standard filing date for a personal tax return is 31 January. However, if you submit paper returns you need to do it earlier. What's the paper filing date, and how can HMRC’s new videos help if you need to remove yourself from self-assessment?

Currently, the self-assessment system is mainly processed in arrears, i.e. returns and payments are due after the end of the tax year. Most taxpayers have a filing deadline of 31 January after the end of the relevant tax year, so have almost ten months to gather and report their information. However, if you complete a paper return you only get until 31 October. You therefore have less than two weeks to get the return to HMRC.

Before you do, you may want to review your circumstances to see if you still need to be in self-assessment at all. For example, if you have ceased a claim to child benefit due to the high income child benefit charge, or were self-employed but have ceased trading. HMRC has published two videos explaining how to withdraw online, one for self-employed and one for others.

This article has been reproduced by kind permission of Indicator – FL Memo Ltd. For details of their tax-saving products please visit or call 01233 653500.

24th Oct 2023 09:47

Tax Return HMRC

Access Key Enabled Navigation
Keywords for: Paper filing deadline just days away

inspire financial management, stockton on tees, Paper Tax Return, financial management, accountant, accounting, gateshead