Inspire Financial Management

Best viewed on a device with a bigger screen...
Tel: 0191 487 7074

national insurance

If you have gaps in your NI history, you can pay voluntary contributions to increase your entitlement to certain benefits, e.g. the state pension. You can now do this online. How do you access the new service?

If you have an incomplete contribution record for a particular tax year, you will receive a statement advising you of the position, usually about 20 months after the end of the year in question. The statement will also show the amount of voluntary contributions required to complete the contributions record for that year. This could be worthwhile if it is unlikely that future contributions from earnings will give you a full state pension, e.g. if you’re close to retirement age. If you're unsure whether an incomplete record exists for a previous year, you can check your contributions record via your personal tax account. HMRC has extended the deadline for making up any contributions shortfall as voluntary contributions can now be paid (at 2022/23 rates) by 5 April 2025 in respect of any years from 2006/07 to 2017/18.

The new service allows you to check whether paying Class 3 contributions is likely to increase your state pension entitlement, make a payment with an immediate confirmation, and is digital from end to end, i.e. you no longer need to contact HMRC for a reference number.

This article has been reproduced by kind permission of Indicator – FL Memo Ltd. For details of their tax-saving products please visit or call 01233 653500.

2nd May 2024 11:09

National Insurance

Access Key Enabled Navigation
Keywords for: New online service for voluntary contributions goes live

inspire financial management, stockton on tees, financial management, National Insurance, accountant, accounting, gateshead